Monday, August 24, 2009

Just a note for anyone having difficulties with religion.

Let me first say: I don't think I ever believed in any religion.

I learned about Christianity and all other religions after Greek mythology. No one could tell me why old Greek gods were myth but THIS one was real. I think the idea came to me because I had read the trial and death of Socrates.

My parents tried for many years up until sometime in High school before they gave up. The amount of work my mother put into trying to convert me made start to think I was doing something wrong. I was even baptized at 8 years old without honestly being told what was happening. They gave me some flyers to read and pictures to color after everything was done. I certainly did not understand what being baptized meant. I don't think it matters one way or the other and if it makes my mom feel better, fine.

So back in high school I listed to Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral this music confirmed my suspicions: not being religious is the hard path. Little did I know we'd have another Bush era in just a couple years...

Around 2002 I told my Mormon wife the truth after much dodging. Not a pretty picture, especially since up to that point I had avoided the topic like the plague of course I was humiliated.

Along comes 2003 Penn and Teller's Bullshit who introduced me to a world of being proud about not having been indoctrinated. Before this, the hiding and humiliation was difficult for me to bear. In the end it did give me perspective for others who are gay and living in America.

There are lots of people in the world that can sympathize, don't be afraid! It is an easier journey now more now than ever before.

PS

I must admit, I did think being gay was a psychological disorder often manifested by some kind of childhood post-traumatic stress disorder. Its not, thanks for clarifying that for me scientists and researchers! *embarrassed*

PPS

If your gay and religious, I'm very, very sorry.

No comments: