Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Feedback to Apple regarding my Macbook Pro 15'

I would just like to say that my 12-inch G4 Powerbook is running great. Because of this laptop I have recommended Apple to friends, family and co-workers who have all subsequently purchased Apple products.

However, I am very disillusioned with the horrible quality and workmanship that went into building the Macbook Pro machine and will no longer make such recommendations.

The laptop worked well initially but ran very hot and I was concerned so I checked the forums and asked Apple store employees they all assured me "its natural for this laptop to run hot". Well severe graphics started appearing so I did some independent research and came across lots of articles detailing horrible applications of thermal paste. By this point the laptop coverage period had expired so I decided open the laptop up and check to see if I had the same issue. I did, it was as bad as the worst pictures you could find on the internet, there was so much thermal grease that there were large pools that spilled over onto all sides around the chip much like the ones @http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/01/macbook-pros-overheating-due-to-thermal-grease/. I cleaned things up and purchased my own grease, the laptop dropped 10 degrees Celsius! It was already too late, the damage had been done. I don't have money for a new computer so I have been stuck with things getting worse and worse. I've purchased new RAM from two different retailers and still the crashing got worse. I re-installed OSX from scratch and patched full and still the crashing got worse. The computer will not even power up with more than 1 RAM stick now and if the laptop gets into a hard lock cycle somehow moving the single RAM stick between slots fixes things for a bit. I've also taken pictures of the screen going black, bleaching to all white slowly, crazy large colorful stripes up and down on the screen and weird color static much like you would see on a TV without a signal except with color.

It is also worth noting that I have to run the laptop with SMC fan control on 6k RPM at all times and use a laptop heat pad to keep the air flowing under the laptop or else it will just crash.

I plan on posting this feedback and the pictures on the internet in the hope that I can save anyone else from going through the same troubles I have.

Daniel (Pictures to come)





1 comment:

Sphires said...

I now recommend looking to Lenovo for your laptop needs. http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/index.html